So what is arthritis?
The term arthritis refers to redness and swelling of the joints characterized by joint pain and stiffness. A joint is an area where two bones meet. The two bones at the site of the joint are separated by a cushioning tissue called the cartilage that protects the joint and facilitates proper movement.
Arthritis may result when any of the joint structures are damaged. Leg arthritis affects the joints of the hips, knees, ankles, or feet. There are over 100 types of arthritis.
The most common types of arthritis affecting the legs are:
- Osteoarthritis: This is the most common type of arthritis. It occurs due to wear and tear of the joint cartilage that happens with increasing age.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: In this type of arthritis, the body’s immune system attacks and damages the joints.
- Gout: This occurs due to excessive deposition of uric acid crystals in the joints, which causes joint inflammation.
- Septic arthritis: This refers to arthritis that occurs as a result of joint infection.
- Post-traumatic arthritis: This type of arthritis results because of injury or after a surgery or other invasive procedure on the joint.
Some of the early signs and symptoms of arthritis in the legs include:
- Pain in the affected area
- Swelling at the affected site
- Stiffness in the affected joints, which may be worse in the morning
- Decreased range of motion of the affected joint
- Difficulty walking
- The skin over the affected joint may appear red and inflamed
If you have any of the above mentioned symptoms then contact us today.
Visit our website flagstafffootandankle.com or call us at 928-774-4825 and book your appointment right away.
As one of the premier podiatry practices in Flagstaff, AZ our podiatrist and team at Flagstaff Foot Doctors also provide 5-star podiatry care to patients from Williams, Winslow, Sedona, Tusayan (Grand Canyon) & Page, AZ & the surrounding areas.